Guide for Successful Immigration for Americans Moving to Canada: Many Americans are moving to Canada because it has good health care and a welcoming society. In 2022, it is thought that about 1,020 Americans moved to Canada every month. People with the right skills, experience, and abilities can get into Canada through its large immigration system. If you’re an American who wants to move to Canada, you might be thinking how to get there.
In this guide, we’ll go over all the choices for Americans who want to move to Canada.
How the Canadian immigration system works
If you are an American and want to move to Canada, there are lots of ways to do so. Each program fits into one of two groups: Express Entry Programs or Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP).
- Express Entry has programs for skilled workers who have the right training and experience. Candidates who are chosen can live in any Canadian region.
- Provincial Nominee Programs has dozens of programs for workers, students, and business owners. Applicants usually need to have a job offer in the state.
Candidates who are chosen must live in the province where they used the tool.
Skilled Workers Immigration
Through one of the Express Entry options below, skilled US workers can move to Canada.
Federal skilled workers program
People who meet the following requirements are eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program:
- Hold a legal diploma or degree from an accredited school and pass an Education Credentials Assessment (ECA).
- Show that you can speak English or French by getting at least a CLB 7 on a language test.
- Show that you have worked abroad for at least one year in a skilled job that falls under NOC numbers 0, A, or B.
- Have at least $13,310 in your bank account.
- Pass a medical test that proves that you are healthy.
- Show that you don’t have a criminal record by giving a license from the police.
Canadian Experience Class
The Canadian Experience Class is for people who have worked in a skilled job in Canada for at least one year and had that experience certified. The requirements for this program are very similar to those of the Federal Skilled Worker program, except for the following:
- If your work experience is in a TEER 0 or 1 job, you must get at least a CLB 7 on an English or French language test.
- If your work experience is in a TEER 2 or 3 job, you must get at least a CLB 5 on an English or French language test.
The Federal Skilled Trades Program
The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people from other countries who have worked for two years in special trade jobs that require less skill and more work.
These are the kinds of jobs that fall under this program:
- Construction, electrical, and manufacturing trades are all part of Major Group 72.
- Supervisors and technical jobs in Major Group 82 farmland and the environment
- Supervisors and main control operators in production, processing, and utilities, which is part of Major Group 92
- Cooks and chefs, Small Group 632
- Bakers and meat cutters make up Minor Group 633.
Programs for families to get help
You can apply for spousal support if you are married to or in a common-law relationship with a Canadian permanent resident or citizen. To use the spouse sponsorship program, you and your partner must both meet certain standards. Among these are:
What the sponsor and their American partner need to do
- Both you and your backer must be 18 or older.
- You must be officially married or in a common-law relationship where you and your partner have lived together for at least one year straight.
- Your sponsor shouldn’t have used the Spousal Sponsorship scheme to get permanent residency in the last 5 years.
- Neither you nor your sponsor should be in jail, be poor, or have been charged with a crime in the past.
What the Canadian Sponsor Needs to Do
- Your sponsor must be a Canadian native or a Canadian who has lived there for a long time.
- Your sponsor has to be ready and able to pay for your living expenses in Canada.
- You must be admissible in Canada.
Note that the spousal sponsorship program is also open to same-sex couples who are married or in a common-law partnership, because Canada accepts the legitimacy of these relationships.
How to get a spouse to sponsor you
- Forms to fill out
- Get together papers
- Pay a fee for an application
- Send in the fully filled-out application package.
- If you are chosen, you will get legal residency in Canada and be able to stay there.
Being an American who works in Canada
Americans who want to work in Canada must get a work pass from the Canadian government. Under the following systems, these work permits are given out:
The Global Talent Stream
The Global Talent Stream is a special scheme that makes it easier for skilled workers to get jobs in Canada. Under this program, people with certain high-value jobs or people who have been referred by specially approved referral partners are given work permits.
The Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA)
CUSMA is a special deal between the United States, Canada, and Mexico that is meant to help trade and the free movement of skilled workers. If a Canadian employer has given a valid job offer to a US citizen, they can use this tool to apply for a valid Canadian work permit.
Transfers within a company
The Intra-Company Transfer Program is for companies with offices or subsidiaries in Canada that are part of a bigger company. The program lets the company get Canadian work permits for their employees and then send them to work in the company’s offices in Canada.
How an American Can Start a Business in Canada
A US person who wants to move to Canada to start a business also has many options for how to move there. These are the programs:
Business and entrepreneur programs at the provincial level
Each Canadian province has its own business and entrepreneur programs with different requirements based on your net worth, the amount you spend, where your business is located, how long you’ve owned a business, and how many jobs it will create.
The most popular business immigration schemes for each province are:
- Entrepreneurs from British Columbia came to the U.S.
- Route for Entrepreneurs in Manitoba
- Entrepreneur Stream in Saskatchewan
- Entrepreneur Stream in Ontario
Program for Self-Employed People
The Self-Employed Person program is for foreigners who have performed at a world-class level in the arts or sports and are able to work as self-employed people in Canada.
The Program for Startup Visas
The Start-up Visa program is for foreign entrepreneurs who want to set up a business in Canada and have the means to do so and are ready to do so after getting funding from a designated Canadian organization.
Americans can go to school in Canada
Many Americans come to Canada to study at its top colleges and universities. People who finish college or university in Canada are also able to get a Canadian Post-Graduate Work Permit.
With this work permit, you can apply for permanent residence through Express Entry’s Canadian Experience Class if you can get at least one year of full-time work experience in a skilled field in Canada.
Citizenship in Canada
People who have moved to Canada and made it their fixed home can become Canadian citizens in the future. To do this, they must make sure they meet the following requirements:
- Live in Canada for at least 3 years out of every 5 years.
- Pass a test to become a Canadian citizen.
- If you live in Canada, you need to file your taxes.
- Show that you can speak English or French well.
Getting Canadian citizenship is a good thing because it gives you the right to vote and run for office. You will also get a Canadian passport, which lets you travel to many countries without having to get a visa.
- Express Entry, PNPs, and Business Programs.
- Skilled Worker Programs.
- Family Sponsorship.
- Work Permits through GTS, CUSMA, or Intra-Company Transfers.
- Post-Graduate Work Permit
Check out our Web Story at https://celpip.biz/web-stories/immigration-for-americans-moving-to-canada/