How do I prepare for Celpip?
Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program, CELPIP is a new way of testing English language proficiency of the candidates planning to immigrate to Canada or those seeking Citizenship of Canada.
For PR purpose we have Celpip-General which covers all the four sections of testing like Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. In the case of a Citizenship test, there are only to section Listening and Speaking. This is the reason this test is known as Celpip-LS.
If you are planning to prepare for Celpip following tips will be helpful to you, to score high in Celpip Test.
1. Enrich your Vocabulary: Secret key to improve any language in the world is to know more and more word of that particular language. The same thing applies to the English Language too. During test use a variety of words and try to avoid repeating the same words again and again. A large number of apps are available these days, which may assist you to improve your vocabulary. e.g Vocabulary.com, Powervocab, 7 little words. The celpipstore.com has a separate section for vocabulary, with words categorised in a way, which makes it easy for students to remember new words easily.
2. Improve your Grammar: There are five simple steps which you may follow, to improve your grammar, they are as follows:
1. Know the parts of speech.
2. Recognize points of view.
3. Use proper word order
4. Conjugate verbs properly
5. Punctuate sentences properly.
You should know and understand each part of speech e.g Nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, conjunctions, articles, and should be clear about using and putting them together properly.
You must have a clear idea about the first person, second person and third persons point of views both in singular and plural forms.
Proper structure of the English sentence is a must, which is like Subject-Verb-Object.
In English start or stop and pauses are handled by proper punctuation, so spend some time on punctuation as well.
3. Practice on Computer: Celpip is 100% computer-delivered test, so you must practice on the actual computer, instead of paper and pen. As there is a facility of spell check and word count, so you should focus on typing speed to save your time and add make your answers better. You should be familiar with the proper use of keyboard and mouse so that you make the best use of short cut keys and other built-in functions.
To work in a real-time test environment you may use free practice test available on Paragon’s website or use celpipstore.com
4. Try to speak clearly and don’t focus on the accent: Keep in mind your accent is not important for test, you should be able to convey your thoughts, using proper English. I’ll suggest you not to focus on accent but focus on the right words and right sentences.
Make the best use of the preparation time and the note down points to speak on, to avoid fumbling during the actual recording. Try to keep a consistent pace and don’t try to speak faster, which most of the time students do, because of nervousness.
5. Manage time properly: Last and the most important tip for Celpip exam is to manage time smartly. Celpip is a computer-based test and you will be able to see time on all screens. You need to manage time in such a way, that first, you should be able to answer properly and secondly you should be left with sufficient time to cross check your marked answer.
Make proper use of note pad and pen provided to you, note down ideas and thoughts and this will save a lot of time for you.
I hope you will find these tips helpful and will practice hard to score the required level in your Celpip Exam. All the best.
- CELPIP English Test
- Immigration and Citizenship
- Vocabulary and Grammar
- Computer Practice
- Time Management and Clarity
(if you like to add your informative video to this page, please contact us at email@example.com)