Immigration consultants assist persons who want to move to another nation for business, travel, study, or other reasons. As permitted by law, they offer legal services in the domain of immigration law.
Immigration consultant’s roles:
The following are only a few of the roles of an immigration consultant’s job:
- Evaluating a person’s chances of getting their visa approved.
- Helping people with their immigration applications and paperwork.
- Make sure the applications and paperwork is accurate and free of errors. And if required, do the required editing.
- Help in preparing clients for VISA interviews, if necessary.
- Helping people with all Canadian immigration processes like family visas, study visas, work visas, refugee or asylum seekers and express entry programs. there.
Who can become an Immigration Consultant in Canada:
To become an immigration consultant, some specific credentials are required. Form 2020, a graduate diploma in immigration and citizenship is required. Also, you need to clear the Entry-to-Practice Exam by the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC).
Immigration consultants mainly work with law firms to deal with immigration cases. They also work with people who are outside Canada and want to immigrate. In some cases, the immigration consultants also work with the government or private agencies that deal with immigration cases.
You must get the proper designations and pass the ICCRC’s Full Skills Examination to work as an immigration counsellor. Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) are qualified service providers.
Who governs Canadian immigration consultants:
Licensed immigration and citizenship consulting and international student advising professionals are supervised by the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulating Council (ICCRC).
This national regulatory authority serves and protects the public. The ICCRC has the responsibility of overseeing services related to citizenship, immigration, and international students, assigned by the Federal Government.
Salaries of immigration consultants:
According to PayScale, Canada, the average annual income of an immigration consultant is C$46,767. An immigration consultant’s annual income might range from $30,732 to $66,965.
The salary for this position is mainly influenced by experience, and all workers in this sector are eligible for standard health benefits like dental, medical, and vision.
How to become an Immigration Consultant in Canada
To achieve your goal of working in Canada as an immigration consultant, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Consider furthering your education by earning a bachelor’s or associate’s degree in immigration law, international law, political science, or a field closely related to these subjects. Although having a formal education is not a prerequisite for immigration to Canada, having one will give you a deeper understanding of the country’s immigration laws and regulations.
- Acquiring work experience in the field of immigration services can be accomplished by working for a private immigration consulting firm or for a government immigration agency. You will be able to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to become an immigration consultant with this assistance.
- Certification: Obtain certification from the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), the regulatory body for immigration consultants in Canada. Certification is required to practice as an immigration consultant in Canada. To obtain certification, you must demonstrate that you have the necessary education and work experience, pass an examination and agree to abide by the ICCRC’s Code of Professional Ethics.
- A business license is required, so you will first need to register your immigration consulting company with the government and obtain the appropriate company licenses and insurance.
- Always stay current: Through participation in continuing education and attendance at professional development courses, you can ensure that you are updated on any changes in immigration laws and regulations.
- It is essential to be aware that immigration consulting is a regulated industry in Canada, and the only people who are authorised to provide immigration consulting services in Canada are individuals who are members of the ICCRC and who are in good standing.
- Representation in Immigration
- Have bachelor’s degree in law
- Have Work Experience
- License required
- ICCRC Certification Needed