You are currently viewing Types of Work Visas in Canada

Types of Work Visas in Canada

  • Post author:
  • Post category:Blog
  • Post comments:0 Comments

Before you think to apply for Canada Visa, it becomes very important to know about types of Work Visas in Canada if you’re considering working in Canada, as it’s important to understand the diverse range of work visas available to suit your needs. 

These visas cater to various circumstances, from temporary labor shortages to international student graduates seeking work experience. 

Options include the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) for filling short-term job vacancies, the International Mobility Program (IMP) offering exemptions from the LMIA requirement, and the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) for recent graduates. 

Moreover, programs like the Working Holiday Visa provide opportunities for young adults to explore the country while working. 

Therefore, it’s worth exploring these visa types to find the best fit for your career aspirations in Canada. Now, let’s understand about different types of visas for working in Canada in 2024.

Different Categories of Work Visas in Canada

1. Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) is a Canadian initiative that allows employers to hire foreign workers to fill temporary job vacancies when qualified Canadian citizens or permanent residents are not available. 

This program aims to address short-term labour and skill shortages in various industries across the country.

Employers who wish to hire foreign workers under the TFWP must first obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to demonstrate the need for hiring from abroad and to ensure that hiring foreign workers will not negatively affect the Canadian job market. 

Once approved, foreign workers are granted temporary work permits to legally work in Canada for the specified employer and duration.

While the TFWP serves as a valuable resource for Canadian businesses facing temporary labour shortages, it has also faced criticism for potential exploitation of foreign workers and concerns about its impact on the domestic workforce. 

Efforts are continuously made to improve the program’s regulations and safeguards to protect the rights of both Canadian and foreign workers.

2. International Mobility Program (IMP)

The International Mobility Program (IMP) is another initiative implemented by the Canadian government to facilitate the entry of foreign workers into the country. 

Unlike the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), which focuses on addressing temporary labour shortages, the IMP is designed to encourage the entry of foreign workers for reasons other than addressing immediate labour needs.

Under the IMP, certain categories of foreign workers, such as individuals with specialized skills or those participating in international agreements, are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) requirement. 

This exemption streamlines the process for employers seeking to hire foreign talent in specific fields or under international agreements.

The IMP covers a wide range of scenarios, including intra-company transfers, international agreements such as NAFTA, and other categories of workers deemed to have significant economic, cultural, or social benefits for Canada. 

By facilitating the entry of these individuals, the IMP contributes to Canada’s economic growth, innovation, and cultural diversity.

Like the TFWP, the IMP is subject to regulations aimed at protecting the rights of foreign workers and ensuring that their entry does not negatively impact the Canadian labour market. 

Through careful administration and oversight, the IMP serves as a valuable tool for employers seeking to access international talent while supporting Canada’s broader economic and social objectives.

Did you know this Latest Quebec Immigration News? Don’t miss it if you haven’t checked it yet!

3. International Experience Canada (IEC)

The International Experience Canada (IEC) program is a bilateral initiative that allows young people from over 30 partner countries to live and work in Canada temporarily. 

This program provides an opportunity for individuals aged 18-35 (depending on the country) to gain valuable international work experience while exploring Canadian culture and lifestyle.

Under the IEC program, participants can obtain an open work permit, which allows them to work for any employer in Canada in any location. 

The program is divided into three categories: Working Holiday, Young Professionals, and International Co-op Internship. 

Each category has specific eligibility criteria and requirements tailored to the individual’s country of citizenship.

The IEC program fosters cultural exchange and strengthens ties between Canada and its partner countries by enabling young people to live and work in each other’s countries. 

Participants not only gain valuable work experience but also contribute to Canada’s economy and cultural diversity.

4. Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

The Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is a program offered by the Government of Canada that allows international students who have graduated from eligible Canadian post-secondary institutions to obtain an open work permit. 

This permit enables them to work for any employer in Canada and gain valuable work experience after completing their studies.

To be eligible for the PGWP, international students must have completed a program of study at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada that is at least eight months long. 

The program must lead to a diploma, degree, or certificate and must have been full-time for the duration of the study.

The duration of the PGWP depends on the length of the program of study completed by the student. 

Generally, the permit is issued for a period equal to the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. 

This allows graduates ample time to gain valuable work experience in Canada and potentially qualify for permanent residence through various immigration pathways.

The PGWP is an excellent opportunity for international students to gain Canadian work experience, which is valuable for their career advancement and potential immigration options in the future.

It also contributes to Canada’s goal of attracting and retaining talented individuals who have the potential to contribute to the country’s economy and society.

5. Spousal Open Work Permit

A Spousal Open Work Permit is a type of work permit issued by the Government of Canada to the spouses or common-law partners of certain temporary residents in Canada. 

This permit allows the spouse or partner to work for any employer in Canada while their significant other holds a valid study or work permit.

To be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit, the applicant’s spouse or partner must hold a valid study or work permit in Canada. 

The applicant must also demonstrate that their spouse or partner is eligible for sponsorship under one of the following immigration programs:

  • Spousal Sponsorship – The Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse or partner can sponsor their foreign spouse or partner for permanent residence in Canada.
  • Common-Law Partner Sponsorship – The Canadian citizen or permanent resident common-law partner can sponsor their foreign common-law partner for permanent residence in Canada.

The Spousal Open Work Permit is typically issued for the same duration as the sponsoring spouse or partner’s study or work permit. 

However, it’s essential to note that the validity of the permit may vary depending on the specific circumstances of the case.

This type of work permit allows the spouse or partner of a temporary resident to work in Canada without requiring a job offer or a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

It provides an opportunity for the couple to live together in Canada while both individuals contribute to the country’s economy and society through employment.

6. NAFTA Work Permits

NAFTA Work Permits, also known as NAFTA Professional (TN) visas, were part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which facilitated the temporary entry of certain professionals from Canada, the United States, and Mexico to work in each other’s countries. 

These work permits allowed professionals in specific occupations to work in another NAFTA country without needing a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

Under NAFTA, professionals from Canada, the United States, and Mexico who were qualified in one of the listed professions could apply for a NAFTA Work Permit to work in the other countries. 

Examples of eligible professions included accountants, engineers, scientists, lawyers, and management consultants, among others. 

Each profession had specific requirements and qualifications outlined in the agreement. NAFTA Work Permits were temporary, typically granted for an initial period of up to three years, with the possibility of renewal. 

To obtain a NAFTA Work Permit, applicants needed to provide documentation proving their eligibility for the profession they intended to work in, as well as evidence of a job offer from an employer in the destination country.

In 2020, the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) replaced NAFTA, but the provisions for temporary entry of professionals remained largely the same. 

As a result, NAFTA Work Permits transitioned into USMCA Work Permits, continuing to facilitate the temporary movement of professionals between Canada, the United States, and Mexico.

7. Working Holiday Visa

The Working Holiday Visa Canada program, also known as the International Experience Canada (IEC) program, allows young people from select countries to travel to Canada for an extended period, typically up to one year, to work and explore the country. 

This visa program is part of bilateral agreements between Canada and participating countries, facilitating cultural exchange and promoting international mobility.

To be eligible for the Working Holiday Visa Canada program, applicants must meet certain criteria, including being citizens of countries that have a bilateral agreement with Canada for this program. 

Usually, applicants must typically be between the ages of 18 and 35, although the age limit varies depending on the applicant’s country of citizenship. 

They must also have sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay in Canada and must obtain health insurance coverage for the duration of their visit.

Once granted a Working Holiday Visa for Canada, participants are allowed to work for any employer in Canada for the duration of their visa. 

The primary purpose of the visa is to enable young people to supplement their travel funds by working part-time or temporary jobs while experiencing Canadian culture and lifestyle.

The Working Holiday Visa Canada program offers a fantastic opportunity for cultural exchange, personal growth, and international experience. 

Participants have the chance to explore Canada’s diverse landscapes, cities, and communities while gaining valuable work experience and making connections with people from around the world.

8. Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)

Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) are immigration programs established by Canadian provinces and territories to address their specific economic and demographic needs. 

These programs allow provinces and territories to nominate individuals who have the skills, education, and work experience required to contribute to their local economies and communities for Canadian permanent residence.

Each province and territory in Canada operates its own PNP, with its own set of eligibility criteria, occupation in-demand lists, and application processes. 

PNPs are designed to target specific categories of immigrants, such as skilled workers, international graduates, entrepreneurs, and semi-skilled workers, depending on the province’s priorities and labour market needs.

To apply for a provincial nomination through a PNP, individuals usually need to first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) or apply directly to the province or territory. 

If selected, they receive a provincial nomination, which allows them to apply for permanent residence to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) through the Express Entry system or through a separate stream, depending on the province’s nomination process.

The advantage of being nominated by a province through a PNP is that it significantly increases an individual’s chances of obtaining Canadian permanent residence. 

Provincial nominations carry a significant number of points in the Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), resulting in a higher CRS score and a greater likelihood of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence in a subsequent Express Entry draw.

9. Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP)

The Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP) is a Canadian initiative that allows employers in the agricultural sector to hire temporary foreign workers from specific countries for seasonal agricultural work when there are not enough local workers available to fill these positions. 

The program is designed to address temporary labour shortages in the Canadian agricultural industry, particularly during peak seasons such as planting and harvesting.

Under the SAWP, participating employers in Canada must first apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to demonstrate that there are no Canadian citizens or permanent residents available to fill the positions. 

Once approved, employers can recruit temporary foreign workers from designated countries, primarily from Mexico and Caribbean nations.

Workers hired under the SAWP are granted temporary work permits, allowing them to work in Canada for a specified period, usually up to eight months. 

These permits are tied to specific employers and locations and are renewable for subsequent seasons if the workers continue to meet eligibility criteria and if there is a continued need for their services.

The SAWP provides numerous benefits for both Canadian agricultural employers and temporary foreign workers. 

Employers gain access to a reliable and experienced workforce to meet their seasonal labour needs, while workers have the opportunity to earn income and gain valuable work experience in Canada, which they often use to support their families back home.



From the information provided above, it is evident that from the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) and International Experience Canada (IEC) to Spousal Open Work Permits and the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), each visa category serves a specific purpose and caters to different circumstances and eligibility criteria. 

Whether it’s gaining international work experience, reuniting with family, or pursuing post-secondary education, Canada offers a range of options to meet the diverse needs of workers and employers alike. 

So, find what visa type suits your profile the most and get ready to move and work in Canada!

Join Celpip Store Now

Leave a Reply