You are currently viewing Canadian Regulated Professions
Canadian Regulated Professions

Canadian Regulated Professions

  • Post author:
  • Post category:Blog
  • Post comments:0 Comments

Canadian Regulated Professions: Regulated jobs are those that are governed by provincial and territorial laws and an apprenticeship authority or regulatory group. If you work in a job that is controlled, you will need to get a license to work here when you move here. Do you know if Canada has rules about your job?

About 20% of all jobs in Canada are governed by rules. Many arrivals to Canada who have worked in their field for years don’t understand why they can’t do it when they get here. Especially since those years of experience and papers are often what allowed them to apply to move there in the first place.

If you want to move to Canada, it’s a good idea to find out if the state you want to live in has rules about the job you want to do. If it is, there may be steps you can take right away to start the process of getting accredited.

What is a controlled job?

In Canada, jobs that are regulated by a regulatory body or apprenticeship office include careers and trades. If you want to officially do your job in Canada, you must have a certificate, license, or registration.

Each state and territory is in charge of setting rules for jobs. Since the standards for accreditation may be different between provinces, you should know which province you will move to before you start the process of getting a license or certification.

Some jobs in Canada, like those in health care, are regulated to protect the health and safety of the people. Other jobs, like being a lawyer or an accountant, are controlled to make sure that the people who do them are qualified.

Canada’s jobs that aren’t controlled

For jobs that aren’t regulated in Canada, like those in IT or tech, you don’t need a license to work officially in Canada.

Some jobs that are not controlled may have certification, licensing, or registration that is done on a voluntary basis. Even though you don’t need this requirement to officially work in Canada, some employers may ask for it.

What do I need to do to get my job to be regulated?

How you become licensed in Canada depends on which state you want to work in. Most governing bodies need an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report to show that your foreign credential is equal to a Canadian credential. Some governing bodies may ask for proof that you have worked in the field and can speak the language. For some jobs, foreign-trained workers will also have to take a test to show what they know about the field.

Depending on your job, you may need to go through both federal and provincial steps. For example, in order to get a Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC), doctors who were trained outside of Canada must pass licensing exams and finish training. After getting the LMCC, they have to get a license from the area where they want to work.

Immigration police use a wide range of methods to figure out if a job is regulated or not. They start by carefully looking over the National Occupation Classification (NOC) occupation profile to see if it needs certification, a license, or registration in the state.

Officers also use the Foreign Credential Recognition in Canada Tool on Job Bank and look at the website for the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC), which has thorough profiles for many different jobs. For more information, officers can directly contact the appropriate regulatory body or look at any social media channels that the regulatory body runs to find out more about the specific requirements for their jobs.

This careful process makes sure that the qualifications of applicants match Canadian standards. This makes it easier for qualified workers to join the Canadian workforce.

Regulators of jobs by province

Each state has its own groups in charge of making sure certain jobs are done right. Here is a list of places where you can find out more about the governing bodies and jobs in each province.

Occupational Regulators of British Columbia

On the Occupational Regulators page for B.C., you can find a list of provincial regulatory bodies that are organized by industry.

Certificates in Alberta for Alis

Alis is a website for Alberta that has information about careers, learning, and jobs. It has up-to-date information on all certification and registration needs for Alberta jobs.

Saskatchewan – Bodies that govern Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan has a list of the groups that regulate jobs in the state. The state of Saskatchewan also has a page called “Regulated Occupations and Licensing Requirements.” This page tells you more about how to get your job regulated.

Manitoba: Professions and trades that need to be licensed

The province of Manitoba has a list of the most popular regulated professions and trades that require licenses.

Ontario: Find information about your job, trade, or field

This page is run by the Ontario government to help foreign-trained workers in Ontario keep working in their job or trade. Here is a list of the groups and bodies that control professions and trades in the province.

Quebec: Professions and trades that need to be licensed

On Quebec’s website, you can find information about regulated jobs and industries in the province.

Certified Jobs in New Brunswick

On New Brunswick’s Certified Occupations page, you can find a list of certified jobs and the groups that oversee them.

Nova Scotia: Acknowledging Qualifications

On its Recognizing qualifications page, Nova Scotia gives you an overview of how to transfer your foreign qualifications when you move there. Regulatory Bodies in Nova Scotia have their own page on the government’s website.

Prince Edward Island – Recognition of Foreign Qualifications

The Foreign Qualification Recognition file for Prince Edward Island tells you how to use your foreign skills to get a job in PEI. The PDF also has a list of the governing agencies in the province that are in charge of each regulated job.

Help for the newbies.

Once you are a legal resident of Canada, there are a lot of newcomer support services that can help you get your license or certification in your field. This process can be as easy as sending your foreign credentials to the regulatory body for evaluation or as hard as having to take courses to get Canadian credentials.


  1. Regulated Jobs in Canada
  2. Provincial Variation.
  3. Controlled Professions.
  4. Unregulated Jobs.
  5. Become Licensed.


Q1. What are regulated jobs in Canada? 

Regulated jobs in Canada are professions and trades that are governed by provincial and territorial laws. These jobs require individuals to hold licenses, certificates, or registrations to legally practice in their field. These regulations help ensure qualifications, safety, and standards.

Q2. How do I know if my profession is regulated in Canada? 

To determine if your profession is regulated in Canada, you can consult resources such as the National Occupation Classification (NOC) occupation profile, the Foreign Credential Recognition in Canada Tool, and the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) website. These sources outline whether a profession requires certification, licensing, or registration.

Q3. What is the role of provincial regulatory bodies? 

Each province and territory in Canada has its own regulatory bodies responsible for setting and enforcing standards for regulated professions within their jurisdiction. These bodies evaluate foreign credentials, assess language proficiency, and ensure that professionals meet the necessary qualifications to practice in their respective fields.

Q4. Do all provinces have the same regulations for professions? 

No, regulations for professions can vary between provinces and territories in Canada. While some basic requirements may be consistent, specific accreditation processes, language proficiency standards, and other criteria might differ. It’s essential to research the regulations of the province you plan to work in.

Q5. Are there unregulated professions in Canada? 

Yes, there are unregulated professions in Canada, such as jobs in the IT and tech industries. These professions do not require licenses or certifications for official practice. However, even though not mandatory, some employers might prefer candidates who possess relevant certifications or registrations.

Q6. What is the process to become licensed for a regulated job in Canada? 

The process to become licensed for a regulated job in Canada depends on your profession and the province you plan to work in. Generally, you’ll need to undergo an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) to verify your foreign credentials’ equivalence to Canadian standards. Additional requirements might include language tests, work experience assessments, and licensing exams. It’s important to follow the specific steps outlined by the regulatory body of your chosen profession and province.

Check out our Web Story at Canadian Regulated Professions

Leave a Reply